Skip to main navigation.

If you feel a shock, swim AWAY from the dock

Outdated wiring and a lack of proper safety equipment on boats and docks can cause situations where electricity “leaks” into the water. It’s a particularly dangerous hazard because it’s impossible to tell by sight if the water is energized. According to the Electric Shock Drowning Prevention Association, between 10 and 15 milliamps, which is just 1/50 the wattage of a 60 watt light bulb, can cause drowning. They also report that most ESD deaths have occurred in public and private marinas and docks.

 

 

The Ritz family was stunned when their son Lucas was killed while swimming with his life jacket on and being closely supervised by his mother. The danger could not be seen but was silently lurking in the water. Electricity was leaking into the water from a boat plugged in to shore power. Unfortunately, people are killed each year by what’s now known as electric shock drowning (ESD). The Ritz family wants others to learn how to avoid ESD and stay safe.

Learn more about electric shock drowning: http://www.membersfirst.coop/ESD

Additional resources:

American Boat & Yacht Council 

Safe Electricity

Plus, learn more about how to keep yourself and those you love safe around electricity.

 

Powered by Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Logo